Thursday, August 8, 2013

Crystal Cave

We took a road/field trip to Crystal Cave this week. The boys and I have been talking about going there all summer, and we had it on our summer must-do list, so Wednesday morning we headed over to Spring Valley, WI to take it all in. I had been to Crystal Cave several times with the 3rd grade classes that I taught, so it was special to be able to bring my own kids here. If you have never been to the cave, it really is amazing and something you have to see at least once. We started the guided tour, and both boys held my hand the whole time we descended the stairs into the dimly lit cave. The guide told us all about how the cave was discovered and formed. We were led into several different 'rooms' of the cave while we also got to see the different formations like stalactites and stalagmites. The only part that the boys didn't like too much was when the tour guide had us experience complete and total darkness in one of the rooms of the cave. He turned off his flashlight and it was DARK! Blake got a little scared and wanted him to turn the lights on as soon as he could. Overall, we had a great day out, and I am sure as Blake, Bennett, and Marlee all get a little older we will be back to see the cave again! Unfortunately I was holding the hands of two unsure little boys while wearing Marlee in my front pack, so I wasn't able to get any pictures while in the cave, but we did take some outside the cave before our tour.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Kyle keeps meaning to take the girls there - fun! Is it chilly once inside the caves? You are such a good mama to take all 3! Someone told me I was 'brave' for taking all 3 grocery shopping. Thats nothing compared to a dark cave!!!

The Risler Family said...

Hi Steph,
The cave is always 50 degrees, so I dressed the boys in jeans, t-shirts, and then they put sweatshirts on once we got into the cave. That seemed to be the right amount of clothes. I don't know if it is me being brave or crazy, but the boys seem to behave better for me when we are on outings rather than at home. :) It is mamas like you that inspire me :)